FAMILY TREE

By Laura Velli

We Start Out Small Inside Our Mothers With Care,

Then We’re Born Into The Nice Clean Air.

Our Mother And Father Are First To Greet Us.

Then Grandma and Grandpa Show Up To Meet Us.

As the Family Gathers And Describe All Our Traits.

My Genealogy Journey Becomes Part Of My Fate.

As I Grow And Learn, I Trace All The Names.

Of Those Faces That Love Me And Played All My Games.

It’s A Family Quest, A Journey Of Mine.

It’s The Past I Seek, Cause It Comforts My Mind.

It’s My Family Trees That Are Most Interesting To Me.

From The Past To The Present, We All Come To Be.

April 25, 2009

Take A Second Look

Again, I thank Dr. Roy Baker and family for their personal contribution of family pictures to our collection. For those that do not know the story, Dr. Roy Baker and I met in Alaska by accident several years ago when he and his family were visiting the Anchor Point and Homer area. He and I are cousins, his aunt, Ella Belle Baker is my Grandmother, married to Henry Philo Harrington on February 8, 1911. He and I are similar in age, he vividly recalls when my father visited the Baker family following his first trip to Alaska. This picture was taken during this visit on September 17, 1954.
BROTHER AND SISTERS
CHRISTMAS 1918

Henry Laverne Harrington (Father) ~ Age 6
Virginia Louise Harrington (Aunt) ~ Age 2 1/2
Esther Irene Harrington (Aunt) ~ Age 4
Rolland Charles Harrington ~ Not In Picture ~ Born December 9, 1917
Ronald Ralph Harrington ~ Not In Picture ~ Born October 24, 1921

UPDATED INFORMATION FOR FAMILY BOOK
Grandparent Lineage ~ Page II

FATHERS BROTHERS AND SISTERS
Esther Irene Harrington ~ Born May 3, 1914 ~ York County, Nebraska ~ Death June 8, 2004
Virginia Louise Harrington ~ Born April 3, 1916 ~ Bradshaw, Nebraska ~ Death June 8, 2001
*Rolland Charles Harrington ~ Born December 9, 1917 ~York County, Nebraska ~
Death January 12, 1922 (Age 5)
**Ronald Ralph Harrington ~ Born October 24, 1921 ~ Bradshaw, York, Nebraska
Death 1983

* Henry Rolland "Tad" Harrington Named After My Fathers First Brother
** I Was Given The Middle Name Of Fathers Youngest Brother


Henry Laverne "Vern" Harrington (Father)
Virginia Louise Harrington (Aunt)
Esther Irene Harrington (Aunt)
Date Unknown ~ Dad Appears To Be Around Age 10


Take A Second Look

Henry Philo "Ten" Harrington
Ella Belle Baker Harrington
I now know where my father and I got our carpentry skills!
However, at first glance do you see a resemblance between sister Dorothy Harrington Miller
and Grandmother Baker.

I looked at this picture several times trying to figure out which children are also seen in the picture. It was not until this evening, that I noticed something for the first time. Grabbing my magnifying glass, I studied the picture in closer detail. Still not being able to determine what I was seeing nor believing what I was seeing, I put it on the scanner and enlarged the section that you see below.



That is "Ten" Harrington's, Parker Brothers 10 Gauge Double Barrel Shotgun sitting within reach of him. Just in case it was needed, it appears that the second shotgun is either a Winchester or Remington pump shotgun. The story of the Parker Brothers shotgun is in the posting preceding this post. With this same shotgun in my possession, this picture is as priceless to me as is the gun.

1 comment:

Stan Harrington said...

Looking at characteristics is so much fun. Click on these pictures and enlarge them. What I noticed were the hands of "Ten" Harrington. His hands are very large, then look at the hands of his son (Dad) where he is leaning up against his pick-up. Same hands. Come Memorial Day weekend, look at Ranger Bill's hands, same hands. When you look at the enlargement of Ella Baker Harrington, you will see sister Dorothy several years ago. However, in the last eight to ten years, she looked to be the identical twin to our mother.