FAMILY TREE

By Laura Velli

We Start Out Small Inside Our Mothers With Care,

Then We’re Born Into The Nice Clean Air.

Our Mother And Father Are First To Greet Us.

Then Grandma and Grandpa Show Up To Meet Us.

As the Family Gathers And Describe All Our Traits.

My Genealogy Journey Becomes Part Of My Fate.

As I Grow And Learn, I Trace All The Names.

Of Those Faces That Love Me And Played All My Games.

It’s A Family Quest, A Journey Of Mine.

It’s The Past I Seek, Cause It Comforts My Mind.

It’s My Family Trees That Are Most Interesting To Me.

From The Past To The Present, We All Come To Be.

February 23, 2009

Baker Ladies

"MOTHER AND DAUGHTERS"
(L to R) Great Aunt Pearl Baker, Esther Baker, and
Grandmother Ella Baker Harrington

My Grandmother Ella Baker was born to D.W. Baker (dob 1854) and Esther A. Black Baker (dob 1861). Ella Baker was married to my Grandfather, Henry Philo "Ten" Harrington.
The D.W. Baker was a large family, typical of most farming families of this era. There was a total of fourteen children in the family, twelve boys and the two girls which are pictured above, Pearl and Ella.
Unfortunately, I never knew any of the members on the Baker side of the family. My family moved to Colorado just prior to my birth. Although, I do remember my parents talking about the Baker side of the family. As a young man, my father worked for several of the "Baker Uncles" and thought very highly of them. The Baker family continues to farm in Nebraska. By coincidence, several years ago I received a telephone call from Dr. Roy Baker of Lincoln, Nebraska. He and his family were visiting the Homer area and we had a short time to get acquainted. He is the son of my Great Uncle Will Baker (dob 1900) and Mildred Folts Baker. Roy Baker and I were both born in 1945.
Since our acquittance, we have remained in contact with an occasional phone call but primarily via email. I would like to thank him because he has been a wealth of information pertaining to the Baker side of the family of which I had very little information.

2 comments:

Stan Harrington said...

This is a test. Hopefully it will work. Sorry about not shutting off "word verification", I hate word verification.

Heidi said...

I love the slide shows on the right... I need a copy of that one of you and mom. It looks like a Christmas party, both of you have your hands up by your face.